Bled

Bled

Monday 1 July 2013

A Sziget Romance: White Lies

Well I always liked the White Lies, even before they made it to Sziget. But the first time I saw them did not seem overly promising: late at night, tent packed, hot and sweaty, previous act delayed for what seemed like eternity and a day. As the boys put it themselves: death...




Incidentally, whenever my plane takes off, I hum to myself "could there be love beneath these wings". But there I was, late at night, my buddies grumpy and I was thinking maybe this is not going to work. But it did, oh how it did. There are some bands that just sound BIG as a jumbo jet on the smallest of stages and White Lies surely does. 



When they came back as headliners, though, some people felt they were just not big enough for a last night at a major festival. They more than compensated for that by the sheer happiness of being here and being the ones to close the ball. If any of the acts who played Sziget's main stage are to remember it particularly fondly, White Lies are one for sure. 



They're not in the line up for this year, but they do have a new (pretty awesomish sounding) album out soon, so Budapest is waiting. with our arms wide open.





No comments:

Post a Comment